Call John day or night at 513-300-4012. He is always available to protect his clients.
John practices in all areas of litigation with particular emphasis on criminal, white collar and DUI/OVI (“drunk driving”) defense; and civil litigation involving municipal law, business law, and serious personal injury and wrongful death claims in both State and Federal Court.
John was named to the Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers in Ohio for 2013. 2017 and 2018 and the Top 50 Lawyers in Cincinnati for 2012 through 2018. He is The Best Lawyers in America 2015 Cincinnati Criminal Defense “Lawyer of the Year” and Best Lawyers in America 2018 Cincinnati Criminal Defense: White Collar “Lawyer of the Year”. John also has a perfect 10.0 rating from AVVO.com and was honored with AVVO’s 2014 Client’s Choice Award. See John’s AVVO.com profile for peer endorsements and client reviews.
Before joining the firm in 1994, John served as an assistant prosecutor in the Juvenile, Municipal, and Common Pleas Court trial divisions of the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office. During that time, John was also appointed by the Ohio Attorney General to serve as a special prosecutor for the Ohio Organized Crime Investigations Commission. After joining the firm, John was twice appointed as a special prosecutor by the Hamilton County Courts.
Today, John uses his trial experience to effectively defend individuals and businesses in white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions, as well as adults and juveniles charged with misdemeanor and felony criminal offenses of every type, including drug offenses and driving under the influence charges.
In civil matters, John has successfully advised and represented business clients on various corporate matters, disputes and litigation. He has won significant awards for clients in numerous personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Call John at 513-300-4012 at any time if you need help immediately. Call at your convenience for a free consultation or if you just have a question.
- Ohio, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 1989
Personal Injury/Wrongful Death related matters:
- Successful resolution of numerous serious personal injury claims on behalf of plaintiffs.
- Resolution of five separate wrongful death claims from automobile accident fatalities resulting in payments totaling over $5,000,000.
Employee Theft related matters:
- Represented an employee investigated by law enforcement for embezzlement of $274,935 from employer. Negotiated resolution without criminal charges being filed.
- Represented a Treasurer charged with embezzlement of $175,000 from a children’s athletic organization. Negotiated Plea Agreement with no incarceration.
- Represented an employee indicted for embezzlement of $62,728 from employer. Negotiated deferred prosecution agreement where charge was dismissed and all case records sealed.
- Represented an individual in a Federal Court prosecution for embezzlement from a public school fund. Negotiated Plea Agreement with no incarceration.
Federal Court related matters:
- Represented a Plant Manager of a manufacturing corporation in a Federal Court prosecution by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Environmental Protection Agency for a violation of the Clean Air Act in the State of Indiana. Negotiated Plea Agreement with no incarceration.
- Represented a corporation investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Internal Revenue Service before a Federal Grand Jury for alleged fraud in the administration of an employee benefits program. Investigation was closed without indictment.
- Represented a corporation investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice in the Commonwealth of Kentucky before a Federal Grand Jury for alleged improper pharmaceutical accounting procedures. Investigation was closed without indictment.
- Successfully represented a corporation in its Federal Court civil prosecution of organized interstate and international trademark counterfeiting.
- Represented a corporation investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, before a federal grand jury for alleged price fixing. Investigation was closed without indictment.
Trial and Appellate related matters:
- Represented a medical practice office manager on a 29 count state court felony indictment, which included allegations of theft of drugs, embezzlement and forgery. Not guilty jury verdict on all 29 counts.
- Represented a public employee in a state court felony indictment for Theft in Office for alleged embezzlement from a public school fund. Not guilty jury verdict.
- Represented a semi-tractor trailer driver charged with Vehicular Homicide and Vehicular Manslaughter. Not guilty verdict.
- Represented an individual in appeal of conviction for Driving Under the Influence. Conviction reversed unanimously by the Ohio First District Court of Appeals and case dismissed.
- Represented an individual charged with Driving Under the Influence in Trial Court and Court of Appeals. Trial Court dismissed all charges on pretrial motions. Government appealed dismissal and Ohio First District Court of Appeals unanimously affirmed Trial Court and dismissed case.
- Represented an individual in appeal of conviction for Driving Under the Influence. Conviction reversed unanimously by the Ohio Sixth District Court of Appeals and case dismissed.
Criminal Trial Practice – Self-defense related matters
- Represented an individual indicted for Felonious Assault with a firearms specification for shooting another four times. Charge carried a mandatory minimum five year prison term if convicted. Proved self-defense at trial. Not guilty verdict.
- Represented an individual indicted for Felonious Assault for assaulting another with brass knuckles. Proved self-defense at trial. Not guilty verdict.
State Court related matters:
- Represented a Pharmacist indicted for four felony counts of Theft of Drugs. Prior to trial, negotiated complete dismissal of indictment and sealing of all case records.
- Represented individual indicted for two felony counts of Obstructing Justice for allegedly harboring her ex-husband who was a fugitive from justice. Negotiated complete dismissal of indictment and sealing of all case records.
- Represented a student in a state court felony indictment for Aggravated Arson for setting fires on a college campus. Negotiated plea agreement with no incarceration.
- Represented an individual indicted with three co-defendants for Aggravated Burglary with Firearm Specifications. Negotiated plea agreement with no incarceration. Co-defendants entered guilty pleas. Two were sentenced to four years in prison and one was sentenced to six years in prison.
- Represented an individual indicted for Felony Theft of $80,000 from an elderly person. Negotiated deferred prosecution agreement where charge was dismissed and all case records sealed.
- Successfully protected an individual in Probate Court litigation over her rights to proceeds from four multi-million dollar trusts.
- Represented an individual in a state court prosecution under Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) for alleged illegal gambling activities. Negotiated plea agreement with no incarceration.
Immigration Law related matters:
- Successfully represented an individual in a Petition for Writ of Coram Nobis in Federal Court to set aside a 1998 criminal conviction for Bank Embezzlement. Thirteen year old criminal conviction set aside and case dismissed.
- Certified Mayor’s Court Magistrate, Ohio Municipal League
- Serves the Ohio Supreme Court as a member of its Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program for newly licensed attorneys.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Talbert House, Cincinnati.
- Member of the Hamilton County Republican Party Judicial Screening Committee.
- Member of the Aegis Council for tuition assistance of St. John’s Jesuit High School & Academy, Toledo, Ohio.
- Member of the Loyola Club for tuition assistance of St. Xavier High School, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Served the Ohio Supreme Court as a member of its Subcommittee on Responding to Child Abuse, Neglect and Dependency.
- Served the Hamilton County Board of County Commissioners as a member of its 241-KIDS Advisory Panel.
- Served the Ohio Justice and Policy Center as a supervisor of new lawyers in its Clinical Legal Education Program.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Panel Member, Criminal Justice Act Panel, U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio (2014-2017)
- Top 50 Cincinnati Super Lawyers 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers 2013, 2017, 2018
- Ohio Super Lawyer 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2015 Cincinnati Criminal Defense “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Cincinnati Criminal Defense: White Collar “Lawyer of the Year”
- AVVO.com Perfect 10.0 “Superb” Rating
- AVVO.com 2014 Client’s Choice Award